Winter Park Ski Resort
Celebrating 76 years of SNOW & SUN, PARKS & PIPES, CRUISERS & BRUISERS. Winter Park Ski Resort Colorado – Trying to pin Winter Park Resort to a single characteristic or experience is impossible. The culture, style, and personality of the resort have been shaped and defined by 76 years of evolution and revolution.
Base Elevation: 9,000 ft. | Longest Run: 2 miles | Vertical Drop: 2,220 ft.
- The Winter Park Resort was the brainchild of Denver’s manager of Parks and Recreation, George Cranmer, and was created to provide a “winter park” for the residents of Denver.
- With the help of some enthusiastic volunteers, Winter Park Resort fired up its first rope tow with a $1 lift ticket in 1939.
- Since that modest beginning, the resort has steadily morphed into one of the top ten ski resorts in the United States.
- The wilder side of Winter Park Resort emerged in 1975 when the rowdy Mary Jane Mountain opened. Revered for big bumps, deep chutes, tight glades and steep pitches, “the Jane” has earned cult-like status for her feisty attributes and ego-humbling terrain. Consistently ranked #1 for moguls in North America by Skiing Magazine, Mary Jane is fiercely loved and defended by legions of bump skiers and riders.
- In steady succession, additional sections of the mountain opened including Mary Jane’s backside, Vasquez Ridge, Parsenn Bowl and, in 1997, Vasquez Cirque.
- The Eagle Wind was new in the past couple of years and offers the out-of-bounds feeling within the ski resort’s boundaries; this area has great glades and tree runs.
- Today, Winter Park Resort boasts 25 lifts serving 143 trails spread over more than 3,081 acres across four mountains, so you can really seize the seven.
- Winter Park Ski Resort’s first and ongoing claim to fame is consistently abundant snowfall.
- Averaging 30 feet of snow annually entitles the resort to the coveted title of “most snow of any major Colorado resort.”
- After all these years and all those powder days it is no surprise that Winter Park Resort is still known throughout the state and beyond as “Colorado’s Favorite™.”
- With great Winter Park rentals to suit your every need and desire to be close to the resort, we hope you’ll add StayWinterPark to your favorite’s list of all things Colorado.
- Winter Park Resort is the perfect playground that is closest to the Denver metro area, just 67 miles away, Winter Park, Colorado is a magnet for outdoor enthusiasts.
- To better serve the next generation of skiers and riders who have given their hearts and loyalty to this venerable resort, Winter Park has expanded on its new terrain park, Rail Yard, with new progressive rails and improved jump design. A 100-foot snow bridge whisks skiers and riders over Cranmer Cutoff for a more seamless transition between the park and the new Superpipe.
- In the summer of 2017 the resort was purchased by KSL Capital who also owns Aspen Snowmass. Winter Park Resort has gone from publicly owned to privately owned.