Experience Winter Park, CO, Skiing
Winter Park Resort
Did you know that Winter Park Resort is Colorado’s longest continually operated ski resort? It’s also the closest facility to Denver International Airport and has been a favorite of Denver locals for over 75 years. Groomers, jumps and black diamonds abound, and an acclaimed Ski + Ride School is available for beginners. With 3,081 acres to explore, Winter Park Resort truly has something for everyone. Check out the resort’s seven unique territories:
- Winter Park – The Winter Park territory is ideal for beginners and families, featuring groomed slopes, long cruisers and the Ski + Ride School. Sign up for lessons or book a First Tracks guide to be the first one to hit the slopes.
- Vasquez Ridge – Vasquez Ridge has many intermediate and advanced runs with opportunities to find pockets of untouched snow. This territory is one of the more remote areas for skiing and riding.
- Parsenn Bowl – Ride North America’s highest six-passenger chairlift to the Parsenn Bowl territory. Panoramic views from a wide-open bowl transition to glades more than 1,600 feet below. Parsenn Bowl is best-suited for intermediate to advanced skiers.
- Terrain Park – Terrain Park features an 18-foot superpipe and more than 80 creative terrain features. There are seven different parks for everyone from beginners to seasoned experts.
- Mary Jane – The Mary Jane territory features many moguls and tree skiing. There are long, challenging rides to test your skills along with some easier runs for beginners.
- Eagle Wind – For tree and glade skiing, Eagle Wind territory features pristine powder and a challenging forest to navigate. There are only advanced and difficult runs at Eagle Wind.
- The Cirque – The Cirque has the resort’s most extreme terrain, featuring ungroomed, backcountry skiing within a patrolled area. This challenging territory only has difficult and expert runs that drop more than 2,200 feet.
Another great way to experience Winter Park skiing is by visiting Granby Ranch. This family-owned resort is located 20 miles west of Winter Park and is designed for skiers of all ages and abilities. Here you’ll find gladed terrain, cross-country trails and a terrain park with a number of progressive features spread across 406 skiable acres. Granby Ranch is also the only ski resort to offer night skiing in Winter Park.
Devil’s Thumb Ranch
If you’re interested in Nordic skiing, check out the groomed trails at Devil’s Thumb Ranch. It’s located at the base of the Continental Divide and is the premier Nordic center for cross-country skiing in Colorado. Start the day with a lesson from one of the ranch’s friendly instructors or sign up for an advanced technique clinic. Both are available daily during ski season.
Jones Pass – Snowcat Skiing
Looking for a more off-the-grid experience? Adrenaline junkies will love snowcat skiing in the Jones Pass area, where local backcountry outfitter Jones Pass Guides uses a snowcat to transport guests to deep, untouched powder. An expert guide will take riders to secluded terrain featuring high alpine bowls, gladed meadows and open chutes. The terrain ranges in elevation from 10,500 to 12,500 feet and provides a truly epic backcountry skiing experience. All trips include demo skis, safety gear, lunch and two free beers at the end of the day.
Ski + Ride School
Sharpen your skills, learn to ski for the first time or learn how to take on some moguls. Winter Park Resort’s Ski + Ride School operates at the Winter Park territory and offers lessons for all ages and skill levels. Choose from half-day lessons, private lessons, camps, programs and more. Kid’s programs are open to children ages 3-14.
Granby Ranch offers group and private lessons for skiers and snowboarders at every age and skill level. Lesson packages can range from one hour to a full day. Instructors work on developing each student’s abilities whether beginner or advanced.
Know Before You Go
Be prepared for your Winter Park skiing adventure by planning ahead. Book lift tickets, lessons and rentals in advance to take advantage of discounts and ensure you get all the essentials.
The weather in Winter Park can change quickly so it’s best to wear layers along with waterproof pants, gloves, tall socks and sunglasses or goggles. And don’t forget to check the weather forecast before your trip!
Ski & Snowboard Rentals
Are you traveling to Colorado by plane? Avoid baggage fees and rent your skis from Beavers Sports Shop This popular ski shop has men’s, women’s and children’s demo skis from top brands like Salomon and Volkl. They also have three locations in the Winter Park area. Visit the shop’s website for details.
Winter Park Resort and Granby Ranch offer equipment and accessory rentals including pants, jackets, poles, goggles, skis and snowboards on-site. Nordic ski and snowshoes rentals are available at Devil’s Thumb Ranch.
Make Your Reservations With StayWinterPark
After an incredible day on the slopes, come back to one of our vacation rentals and unwind! From condos and townhouses to private homes and cabins, StayWinterPark has a wide selection of properties from which to choose. Plus, we offer special Winter Lodging Deals for guests. It’s as easy as that! Call us for details and to see what’s available, then start planning your Winter Park, Colorado ski vacation. We look forward to having you!